Throughout this semester in art, I made 4 major pieces of art: the Misty Copeland water color, The heart shaped altered book, the Crown and the Cubism Modern art Putt-putt course. I was inspired by a lot of things during these projects but I was inspired most by the works of Cubic painting for the putt putt course which so happens to be the piece I am most proud of. The Misty Copeland painting was a fail forward case where I did a bunch of sketches and color schemes. I had planned on doing a realistic cover of the photo but in the end it became a figurative (gesture) piece. The piece turned out ok but I was not happy. Since that project was a fail forward I learned that if I had spent a little more time on detail and accuracy it could've been one of my best figure drawings ever. For the Misty Copeland water color all I used was paper and watercolor pencil. There was no official technique in the process of making the artwork. The heart shaped altered book was a fairly easy project all that was need was a book and an altered book stencil. The technique for creating the altered book was taking a stencil and folding each individual page to the lines on the stencil. The Crown was made of cardboard, aluminum foil and hot glue. I took thicker cardboard and made leaf shapes and glue them into a tiara shape. The only technique I used was using the hot glue to create designs on the cardboard and used aluminum foil as an embellishment . The Cubism Modern art Putt Putt course was my absolute favorite project because our freedom of materials. My group had a wood and cardboard base and cardboard and painted detail.
This semester in Art studio 2, we had a lot of different projects with freedom of choice. Throughout the projects I chose something that represented me. I tried to show my art style throughout each one of them. My art is important to me and I try to grow and shape my skills as much as I can. I have so many inspirations as an artist. I have great grandmother, my old art teacher who I've known since I was four years old and my great aunt. These women have inspired my love of art and I hope that I make them proud.
My most successful project this semester was the Modern art and Engineering putt putt course but I already talked about that so my second most successful was my ballerina which was for the Artists Make Choices. The project was to use any media that we had learned in the first few weeks of class. I choose watercolor pencil as my medium of choice because I've worked with watercolors before but not the pencils and I want to try something new.
If I had to do a project over it would probably be the Artist steal. The artist steal project was where you take a famous piece of artwork and put a twist on it. For example take Van Gogh starry night and the twist is instead of the church you put a McDonald's. I created an altered book and being my first time I had a lot of errors during the process. If I had to restart I'd probably change the design made by the pages and use the smaller book because I had 100 pages left with no plan to finish them. For my re-do I would make a music note.
The medias I use this semester were aqua pencils, charcoal, chalk pastels, oil pastels, tempera and other drawing utensils. Out of all the medias, the one I enjoyed the most was painting with tempera. We use tempera for the modern Art and engineering putt putt course. I enjoyed learning the style of cubism and the collaboration with drafting.
Because I didn't get to make my crown design last time I did it this time. I made a 3D crown that sits on top of a wig. Our project this time was called Emphasize Art Elements. I started out with making four drawings filled with one of four elements, line, color, shape and value. The next step of the project was to plan out your 3D model. Once planned out I started looking for material to make my crown with. I chose cardboard, hot glue and aluminum foil.
The idea behind the crown was that one of my many nicknames is Queen Radio, which was given to me by my closest friend.
I learned in my overall product that I need to focus more on time management and the research. My project turned out really well and I am quite happy.
For my artist steal project with I chose to create an altered book also know as a folded book. I originally chose to create a crown pattern in my book but there were difficulties trying to find a template so my idea shifted to creating a heart. The theme of my project is hearts and or the Queen of Hearts. I folded most of the pages to look like a heart but had a lot left over so I fold them into points with no real significance. The idea behind an altered book is the creativity and process of the final product which fit my art style of controlled media. To create an altered book is really simple but time consuming. In all, I believe it took me 3-5 days to fold the pages and another 3-5 days to cover the book in tissue paper.
I learned in my overall product that I need to focus more on time management because my previous project held up most of my time so I got a late start not this one. My project turned out nice up until I folded the extra papers and everything went down hill.
My art project was a figurative dance watercolor paint based off a photo of Misty Copeland.I started off with a light sketch of graphite then I used watercolor pencils to map out my scheme. After mapping I out I used regular watercolor.
The idea behind the art was that I wanted to do a gesture painting, where you get the vague sense of a person, but it did not work out how I wanted My art style is more controlled than a free flow.
My goals as an artist is that I want to be an animator or graphic designer. I need to learn how to translate realistic figures into a drawing just by looking at it.
I learned in my overall product that I need to focus more on the structure of the drawing and less on detail. My idea did not translate the way I wanted it to.